Dr. Surles’ Professional Experience
Provides management consultancy, product registration and marketing support for new technologies. Frequently invited speaker at university, trade shows and private industry in pesticide and food production industries. Professional background provides broad view and bridge between industry and regulatory environments in pesticide and specialty product development. Strong interest in Risk Management in environmental issues and food production. Brokers international connections and knowledge in the integration of new technologies with commercial opportunities. Specializes in cost effective problem solving with no long term employee commitments. Expert in AAPFCO requirements.
Select Current Projects
- Supporting North American development of an agricultural Super Absorbent Polymer (SAP) for water management
- MSDS preparations
- Canadian registration of soil additives
- State registrations for soil amendments and fertilizers
- Food additive negotiations with Food and Drug Administration ( FDA)
- Jatropha biodiesel fuels
- Crop micronutrient development
- Brokering spare capacity utilization of production facilities
- Development of chicken waste derived organic fertilizer
Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer ServiceOffice of Pesticide Services
July 2004 – May 2008
Led a team of 28 professionals in the regulatory stewardship of pesticides for the Commonwealth of Virginia. As the state lead agency, we registered pesticides, licensed businesses, trained and certified applicators, and enforced the Code of Virginia with primacy for the EPA in enforcing the: Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act; Endangered Species Act; Water Quality Protection Program; and Worker Protection Standard. While heavily involved nationally in supporting the EPA in training, we collaborated with Virginia Tech in providing federal courses in Pesticide Inspector Residential Training. These courses received stellar ratings by the national student attendees. Retired in May, 2008.
WS Associates, LLC
Glen Allen, VA
June 1998 – July 2004
Independent consultant for the specialty chemical industry. Worked in the agricultural business arena with emphasis on assisting offshore parties with the development of unique technologies in the U.S./Canadian agricultural chemical markets. Prepared business plans, provided management consulting, and guided unique intellectual properties into commercialization. Launched two new products in plant nutrition and fungicides. Registered plant nutrients at state level and pesticides for both EPA and states. Member of Canadian team that formulated national strategies on new agricultural technologies.
W. L. Gore & Associates
March 1997 – June 1998
Created new business opportunities for Gore technology, emphasizing the development of rugged functional apparel for the outdoorsman providing GORE-TEX ® technical applications for unique solutions.
AgrEvo USA Company (and predecessors)
1984 – 1997
Director, Specialty Products
Directed $55 million commercial operation for diversified pesticides, fertilizers, and industrial chemicals business portfolio – turf and ornamentals, industrial vegetation management, public health, production intermediates, and support of Third World malaria control programs. Major accomplishments included:
- Created and launched the controlled-release fertilizer NUTRALENE®.
- Created a highly successful controlled-release nitrogen business based on NITROFORM® and NUTRALENE®, which I was instrumental in selling to NuGro of Canada (1996).
- Managed animal health business, with amitraz-based products for control of dog/swine mange, cattle lice, and tick and bee mite control including a successful USDA tick eradication program for Puerto Rico (1994-96).
- Responsible for sales and operational budget for North America. Sales performance was consistently within 5% of budget. Operational expenses never exceeded budgets. Grew the business unit 25% per year for six years with 25% to 30% earnings from operations (1990-96).
- Hired and developed strong team of 41 professionals. Nor-Am Specialty was consistently highly rated for strong customer service.
- Successfully launched four (4) new products.
- Promoted, advertised, and communicated business results and strategies at board and association meetings.
Nor-Am Chemical Company
1981 – 1984
Director, Business Development
Member of senior management team. Job duties included:
- Setting corporate policies and procedures. Technology transfer; licensing and diversification.
- Various licenses were implemented.
- Acquisition and divestitures.
- Developed new product concepts.
- Major role in developing and launching new businesses in specialty products.
- Maintained current knowledge of all North American pesticide markets, while supporting return-on-investment orientation toward corporate development programs.
Nor-Am Chemical Company
1980 – 1981
Director, Strategic Planning
Coordinated development of corporate strategy. Successfully licensed a major new product from Japanese company. Developed and wrote the strategic plan for company for 15 years.
(Nor-Am and predecessors, BFC Chemicals, and Fisons)
Boston, MA, and Wilmington, DE
1978 – 1980
Manager, Field Development
Directed North American field research and development staff and programs. (Budget of $1-$2 million; staff of 12.) Evaluated numerous candidate chemistries in most pesticide markets in the United States and Canada. Collaborated on international level to coordinate pesticide development data exchange.
Fisons Chemical Company
1977 – 1978
Supervised North American development of the carbamate insecticide bendiocarb.
Product Development Representative
Coordinated and conducted North American field research for new insecticides.
Chemist and Medical Technician
Chemical warfare agents (received Meritorious Performance Citation). Medical technician at 130th US Army hospital in Nurnberg, Germany.
Various volunteer positions in community, church, and civic organizations.
- Chaired capital campaign for Red Clay Creek Presbyterian Church. 2000-2005. Hockessin, DE
- President and/or Secretary for Civic Association for 23 years
Proficient in Excel and Microsoft Office software.
Strong statistical background.
Basic knowledge of Spanish.